Housing Counseling Agencies and Foreclosure Avoidance Counselors

If you need help because you are in default, foreclosure or need help on your reverse mortgages, please contact the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). HUD sponsors housing counseling agencies throughout the country to provide free or low cost advice. Search online for a housing counseling agency near you or call HUD’s interactive voice system at: (800) 569-4287.

If you are facing foreclosure and want the assistance of a housing counselor, search the list of Foreclosure Avoidance Counselors or visit the Making Home Affordable program FAQ for Borrowers.

  • Agencies must provide counseling without charge to persons who demonstrate they cannot afford the fees;
  • Agencies must inform clients of the fee structure in advance of providing services;
  • Fees must be commensurate with the level of services provided.

You should contact your local HUD office if you encounter housing counseling agencies that you believe are not complying with these requirements. To find a HUD certified housing councilor please click here and choose your state.

Please have the following information with you when you call:

  • The name on the property
  • The loan number
  • Your social security number
  • The name of your servicer
  • Any other documentation pertaining to your mortgage

Another place you can go for counseling is the non-profit Neighborhood Assistance Corporation of America (NACA).

Foreclosure prevention counseling and homeless counseling services are available free of charge through HUD’s Housing Counseling Program. Housing Counseling agencies participating in HUD’s Housing Counseling Program are not permitted to charge consumers for these specific housing counseling services.